Sunday 27 January 2013

So, what's YOUR excuse?


About a year ago, I was really overweight, completely lacking in energy and had not done anything close to decent exercise for about 5 years. I had a two-year old and a one-year-old to care for, almost zero iron and could not function particularly well on many levels.

But the fact of the matter was that I had not prioritised my health and wellbeing. I had not taken the time and care to look after my body and it had caught up with me.

So, I'd made the decision to 'get into shape' and try dieting once again and I'd lined up an appointment at my local gym to kick things off.

 

But it was actually a phone call I received as I was leaving the gym that truly changed the way I felt about my body. 
 
I’d read in the newspaper about some ultramarathon runners being burnt the previous day but didn’t think much of it.  Then I received this call from my mum telling me that one of the women I'd read about was our friend Kate.
 
I was shocked and distressed at the prospect of losing Kate.  But when I heard she would probably lose her feet I was utterly devastated for her.  Here was a woman who LOVED to run and who would be battling to survive a coma, only to wake up to the news that she would possibly never run again.
 
That morning I decided it would be disrespectful and selfish for me to take my body for granted.  I felt like I owed it to Kate to look after what I had.  And everytime it feels 'all too hard' I remember what Kate has been through and what she is still going through today. 

So next time you want to give up early or miss a session because you can't be bothered, think about the people who would dearly love to be able to the things you take for granted every day. 

Then get off your fully functioning bum and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment